Monday, February 24, 2014

First Grade

I'm following the blog ideas I found on a web page.  It is so helpful to follow these suggestions.  About 2 years ago I tried to join a blog group with Christmas topics.  However, even though I followed the directions, I couldn't get my blog to merge with the groups blog :(

First grade was wonderful for me.  After having Kindergarten cut short becaue our nun died, I was very eager to go to school.  The wonder of those large reading charts that sister pointed to with a very long handled, rubber tipped pointer.  Then after going over and over the charts, she would give us workseat papers to do and call us up to her desk one at a time.  We had to read to her from the "Dick & Jane" readers.  I loved them!

Soon after school began, I learned some valuable lessons.  We had double desks with double seats.  My desk mate was Marcella.  That Friday of our first week shocked both me & Marcella.  We learned that we had a time limit on studying those Spelling words!  Sister began passing out the papers for our spelling test.  I looked at Marcella and said, "I didn't know we were having a Spelling test today!"  She answered, "I didn't study at all!"  I was in panic mode!  My first Spelling test!!! Yes, my mom went over the words with me at home, but I didn't know we were having a Spelling Test today!

As if things couldn't get worse.  My seat mate put her open spelling book on the seat between us.  I began to panic and tell her, "No!"  Sister reprimanded me for talking, asking me if I had the heading on my paper?  I just knew sister was going to see that book and I would be in trouble as much as Marcella, even if I didn't use the book!

Sister gave us the words and began walking around the room.  I thought I would die or faint or wet my pants when sister came next to our desks and looked down!!!!!!  She kept walking!  Believe me, I told Marcella to never do that again!!!  We would have both been in trouble!  I made up my mind then & there I would learn my words as soon as we got the assignment, so I wouldn't have to be  worried when the test was!  Being in first grade wasn't as much fun as Kindergarten! I hated the double seats & tried not to socialize, except at recess!

No comments:

Post a Comment